Skip to main content

WIP'ed Ink Wednesday

Blogging Challenge: Pixars Story Basics #2

I have signed up to blog along with a few other bloggers (their links are at the bottom of this post. PLEASE visit them if you get  chance!) and I thought it would be a wonderful addition and help for writing advice. There are 22 sketches, so it will take several days to get through them all. I hope you enjoy!

The original list can be found here: Story Shots

I missed yesterday's Day #1, which was admiring a character because he tried more than because he was successful. I will try and make that one up later. IF not, Well, then I guess I missed #1. Oops!

So today, day #2, the point is: Keep in mind that what's interesting to you as a writer may not be as interesting to the audience.

This may be a hard one to grasp, initially. What? You mean everyone may not think my idea is fantastic? They won't all flock to buy my book by the hundreds, no thousands? Really?

It's true. Grin and bear it, dear writer. While your writing may be sensational and your plot line out of this world, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. Let's face it. Not everyone is interested in reading paranormal, or fantasy, or historical. Not everyone is into romance novels. Tastes and preferences are so individual, just like writing talents.

So what does this mean? Does this mean if you don't follow trends and the Top Ten Bestsellers that you'll never be a successful author? Does it mean you are doomed to failure because you can't write vampire stories?

NO!

It means there is an intended audience out there for YOU and it's important that you know who that audience is. When you write for a specific niche, readers will love what you write because they love that genre and category.

To be success as a writer, an auhthor, it's important to know who your intended audience is and what they have come to expct in your genre. This strengthens your craft and your creativity.

You wouldn't pitch a horror story to the kindergarten teacher, would you?

Know your audience and watch your writing bloom into awesomeness!

Happy WIP'ed Ink, you beautiful guys and dolls!

Be sure and visit the others who are participating! They have amazing things to say...!!

Kate
Mary
Regina
Alex


Comments

  1. I love the reminder that you can still write what your love, you just need to keep the audience in mind. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree on getting to know more about what people expect from your writing. :) Also I didn't think about it, but yeah, it *is* really true that it makes you think more creatively when you know what the expectations are from an audience. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am guilty of not following this rule as you well know... lol. I will have to keep in mind that not everyone loves Anthropology and Australopithecus afarensis like I do <3 LOL

    This seems like a great blog hop idea! I can't wait to read the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new blog look-- very professional. Thought-provoking post. We all want the license of creative expression, but if we went to sell, then a bit of awareness and catering must be considered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds cool...glad I'm not doomed for not being in the know either;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!