Skip to main content

Book Review: ONE by Leigh Ann Kopans


When having two powers makes you a Super and having none makes you a Normal, having only one makes you a sad half-superpowered freak.

It makes you a One.



I remember hearing about ONE when I first joined Twitter. Unbeknownst to her, although probably like many others, I watched Leigh Ann Kopans' journey to self-publish this amazing novel. And let me tell you all something, it is pretty darn amazing.

ONE is the story of Merrin Grey as she struggles to make herself whole. I really liked Merrin. She seemed like an authentic teenager to me: rebellious, confused, love-struck by Elias but scared to act on it, and yet so vulnerable at the same time. Even more, I was thankful for very realistic romance between she and Elias. Finally. And if that's not enough, not only are both sets of parents present in the story, they actually play an integral role, something I think is missing from YA.

I don't want to spoil the book too much since it just came out, but the ride ONE brings you on hits all the right emotional and adrenaline-pumping nerves. I very much enjoyed this refreshing take on superpowers and teenage romance, and am eagerly looking forward to the sequel!

Like... yesterday. Consider it pre-ordered, Leigh!

Leigh Ann's Website, Twitter, and Blog


-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-


I purposely did this review on a WIP Ink Wednesday because one of my favorite parts of ONE is something I need to work at so much: romance. 

Merrin and Elias' romance is done so well, I cannot contain my excitement over it. They are presented as a real teenage couple. They're in love, they lust after one another, they fight, they keep secrets, they protect each other-- but at the end of the day, they stick together. Too many stories lately make love easy, no matter the age category. Or if there's trouble, it's external forces rather than internal. I felt that ONE was an incredibly refreshing take on this.

So here's something to look at both in my novels and your own: make the romance real. Make it happy, make it hurt, make it burn with need. But most of all, make it authentic.

Comments

  1. Great review. I'm definitely putting One on my list...and also taking a second look at the romance in my YA novels to check for authenticity.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with ONE. A love story with superpowers? I'm already poised to read it again!

      Delete
  2. I LOOOOOVE this book so much! I also reviewed it today (not b/c of the romance but because of how awesome Merrin is). Funny. Great pick ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merrin *is* pretty great, not gonna lie. She's probably one of my favorite YA characters!

      Delete
  3. Love this concept! And that cover is absolutely gorgeous. Great recommendation :)

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the cover just beautiful? If the blurb didn't draw me in, the cover definitely would have :)

      Delete
  4. Great review!

    Love the concept!

    And yes romance has to be authentic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was *so* thrilled to finally see a genuine take.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writer In Motion CP feedback

Hey beautiful guys and dolls! Here it is! My CP feedback edited story. Had a hard time with this, but I hope it makes sense. I've got a post I'm working on I plan to put up after Thanksgiving. Here ya go. Enjoy... Every morning I wake to carnival day.  Today, though, I have my key. If I don’t use it before midnight, my way of escape will gone. It’s a silver key with a twisted metal handle, a sapphire stone half moon and engraved stars. There’s a tiny inscription on the moon, but it’s so small, I’ve never been able to read it.I’ve always kept mine in my jewelry box, but today, I string it on a ribbon and tie it around my neck. My two best friends will be wearing theirs, too, and I wonder how they will escape this carnival of dreams. “What’s it for?” Cress asks as we stand in line for the swings. I run my fingertips over the entire silver surface. “I don’t know. It belonged to my grandmother,” I say. “Whatever.” She shrugs her shoulder in a dismissive way. “Have

Insecure Writers Group

Today, my feelings are mixed. On one hand, I've faced more rejection and that's not easy to write about or admit to the world. But I am not crying in my "milk" (no beer, folks:) I want to, but what good would it do??? I received a detailed critique from a "Best First Line" contest. The critique was the best I have ever received and seriously opened my eyes to "how" to improve my writing. Nice! Speaking of critiques, I am still looking for a critique partner. If anyone is looking back, please let me know and we can swap info. I'm sending off a YA query letter and first pages to 3 agents this week. Wish me luck. This will be the first time I have directly contacted and agent with a query. Yes, I'm nervous, so I'm saying again, WISH ME LUCK!!!

Operation Agent Ink

UPDATE: PLEASE FILL OUT THIS QUESTIONNAIRE AFTER YOU SIGN UP. Have you ever wondered what agents were dying to find in their inbox/slush pile? There have been many times I entered a contest and not even received a comment, not even from one of the agents. Or maybe the agent was kind enough to leave a comment that simply said, "Sorry, this just isn't what I'm looking for, but I love the premise and your voice." I always walk away feeling unsatisfied. If I had known exactly what the agent wanted beyond, "YA" or "Fantasy" I might not have even entered a contest I knew I wouldn't win! Even more, I wasted a very busy agents time! Well, your time of guessing is up! OPERATION AGENT INK to the rescue! That's right! This workshop will help aspiring authors get on the list of an agent's WISH LIST! When the workshop is over, your manuscript will be ready to view by a group of AMAZING agents who are dying to see what you've wri